Sunday, September 18, 2011

THE OCTOPUS TRIALS

On my birthday, we decided to experiment with making octopus.  We were inspired by a delicious octopus salad that we had in France, and wanted to recreate it at home.  The entire process ended up being quite involved with cleaning the guy (not for the squeamish), boiling, preparing the marinade and then grilling.  For the marinade I used olive oil, lime, cilantro, thinly sliced grilled red onions, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  Along with the grilled yellow and red peppers, the flavors ended up being quite good.  The octopus however I would rank as just average.   The tentacle ends were tasty, but the thicker the tentacle became, the more chewy and less enjoyable I found it to be.  Hmmm.  Perhaps this is one to leave to the pros.  I would, however, definitely make the peppers in the marinade for a salad on its own.  All in all not bad, but not great, and definitely a learning experience.

No comments: