Friday, December 18, 2009

I WISH


This morning on my way to work, I looked up as I passed a Starbucks to see a slew of winter-ish slogans in the window. The one that stuck out to me read, "I wish grown-ups could remember being kids (TT)." Looking back I remember thinking the same thing and all the things I would try to remember when I became an adult. Things like:
  • Its okay to go play in the rain, even if I get a little wet
  • A mid-night snack is always fun
  • Staying up chatting at a sleepover is expected, even if I am grumpy the next day
  • The world just sounds better with music in the background
  • Most drinks taste better out of straws
  • Grass stains aren't the end of the world and are evidence that I played hard
  • French braids rock
  • Always add extra cherries wherever possible
  • Cleaning my room can wait until tomorrow
  • Travel size hotel shampoos from adult trips make bath-time extra special
  • Nylons are uncomfortable and nerdy
  • Car games make the road trip go faster
  • Build forts
  • The best time to swim in the ocean is in the late afternoon, when it is almost time to go
  • Ocean swims are the best with dad
  • "Life's not fair" is not what I want to hear when I'm upset
  • Sitting on wax paper while going down slides makes you go super fast
  • Babysitters are cool - parents should go out alot
  • Things that are a slightly dangerous often make for the best adventures
  • S'mores
  • Sleep outside in summer time
  • Adults should save adult clothes (particularly dresses) for kids to play dress up in
  • A little sand indoors never hurt
  • Bubble bath
  • No one is to old for hide-and-seek
  • The more Christmas lights the better
  • Bike riding is a vehical to freedom.

    I am sure there are many more things I thought over the years, but no longer remember. As I am about to become a mom, I hope I can look back and remember what it is like to be a kid and put myself into his/her shoes. Life as a kid is magical - remember to be a big kid at heart.

No comments: