Friday, November 12, 2010

HINTS OF HOLIDAYS

Yesterday I received my December issue of Real Simple Magazine in the mail and as I thumbed through the pages I could feel familiar stirring of excitement and anticipation of the upcoming Holidays.  It is still two weeks until Thanksgiving and already I am plotting out what I want to bake, the yarn wreath I want to craft for our front door, choosing a family Christmas card, knitting some homemade gifts and enjoying the transformation New York goes through during the Holidays.  This morning on NPR I heard the Christmas tree will be delivered via crane to Rockefeller Center today and already Christmas lights are sprouting up store windows and in the trees around town.  I love the thoughtfulness the Holidays brings - reflecting on the passing year, relishing traditions, and treasuring loved ones.  I am most looking forward to celebrating Annie E's first Christmas and spending time with friends and family.  Having a child brings a whole new meaning to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.  I look forward sharing everything I enjoyed about the Holidays as a child with Annabelle.  When I was small I assumed everyone had a similar Holiday experience to mine.  When I moved away from home, I realized that was not the case - not even close.  I appreciate so much how my mom goes to so much trouble every year to make the Holidays so special for us kids.  I know she would say she loves doing it, but it truly is tremendous the amount of love and tradition that is poured into the baking, the decorating, the music, and the stories each year.  It is because of her, I too, love getting in the spirit.  Living so far from home I miss pulling out the boxes of decorations with the family, stringing up the lights and all of the preparation, that is mostly about spending time together rather than making the home festive, though that is the spectacular result!

One of the features in Real Simple was about looking at the Holidays Through Another Lens.  Eight artists documented in photos where they have found inspiration in this beautiful season.  One photographer, Nicholas McElroy, submitted the following photo.  He took it during winter break during college.  Every year he would drive from Santa Fe (where he attended school) to his parents' house in Seattle. This particular photo was captured on a desolate stretch of road in southern Utah during the journey.  He said, "I couldn't resist jumping out to experience the sense of total silence you get in such a remote location and to observe the way the weather made the sky and earth blend together.  I didn't linger too long, however, since I  couldn't wait to get home to see family and friends." I know the feeling!  Aside from being a great pic, this photo grabbed my attention because my dad has a similar Volvo that has been in the family since the 60's.  We grew up hearing stories of the "snow Volvo" and I imagine it looking somewhat like this.  Dad, this one's for you!

No comments: