Sunday, January 24, 2010

COMING TO TERMS WITH PINK

Okay, I'll admit it.  When I found out I was having a girl I was terrified of being barraged with pink and sparkles.  I have always found myself to be quite impartial to the color pink.  If you were to ask my favorites, pink would rank somewhere around number 20.  It's not that I hate pink by any means, I just feel there are so many other incredible colors.  I tend to gravitate to greens, blues, yellow and reds.  I also feel that just because she is a girl why does she have to be forced into a very pink world?

As soon as the word baby becomes part of your everyday vocabulary, things are instantly categorized as pink or blue.  If you are having a girl - you get pink.  If you are having a boy - you get blue.   Why I ask, when there are so many other great colors?  Because that is what sells.   Nowhere was this more obvious then when we went to register at the baby megastore, Buy Buy Baby.  When pondering pacifiers, bottles, teething gear, crib bedding, blankets and onesies we were consistently confronted with pink or blue.  9 times out of 10 I leaned toward the blue option.  Nate ever so gently reminded me that the blue option was for a boy and if we buy our little girl blue, we will spend the first few months of her life explaining to people that our bundle of joy is, in fact, a girl and not a boy.  He had a valid point.  Since I highly doubt we will be corn-starching bows to her little head, a blue/brown onesie would most likely cause gender confusion.  So, from then on when confronted with pink and blue I hesitantly began to choose pink. Since opening my mind to the world of pink, I have discovered that not all pink has to be fuchsia with rhinestones reading "Daddy's Little Princess." Much of the pink out there is actually quite cute.  In fact, after bypassing all the blue/green monkeys and owls for boys, I came across some crib bedding I liked that involves pink.  Dwell Studio makes amazing prints for boys and girls that are modern, simple, and have a touch of Swedish design flair.  The print I like is called Gio Lemon and is adorned with hippos, squirrels, elephants, bunnies and snails in pink, maroon, grey and yellow.  Unfortunately the print is on the verge of being discontinued and only a few pieces remain from what I can tell from my online searches.  I have since snatched up the stroller blanket and registered for the burp cloths and bibs.  Though they no longer carry the Gio Lemon crib fitted sheets, I discovered they do have fitted sheets in dove grey squares from one of their other collections that will go perfectly.  You may say I am now satisfied with hints of pink.
To further the pink cause, this morning I was browsing Old Navy Baby and saw some super cute pink-y things...hmmm.  I have come to the conclusion that in this pink and blue baby world, I will not force our little lady into tomboy-hood, but will give her tastes of a versatile palette, so that she can decide what colors she likes herself.

P.S. I am still not sold on sparkles.

No comments: